[yt-users] timing parallel runs

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Mar 7 08:55:19 PST 2011

Hi there,

I am trying to get a feel for how YT scales in parallel. I am using the time() function of python to wrap individual parts of a yt script. For example, I do this:

start = time.time()
pc.add_slice("Density", 0)
end = time.time()
slicetime = end - start
print "slice took %f seconds" %slicetime

Each rank does this and I get a variety of times across ranks. I am not seeing any difference in the max time with number of processes however. For example, if the max across ranks for the slice time is .8 seconds with 8 processors it is still .8 seconds for 16 processors. So I must be doing something wrong. Anybody done this before?

Dave