[yt-users] Halo Loading

Stephen Skory stephenskory at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 08:35:36 PST 2011

Hi All,

due to popular demand, I've added functionality to load previously found halos off disk. It is in the "yt" branch of the repository. It should be easy to use, but may not be entirely free of bugs yet, so let me know if you have issues.

To save the data:

from yt.mods import *
from yt.analysis_modules.halo_finding.api import *

pf = load("data0005")
haloes = HaloFinder(pf)
haloes.dump("basename")

basename is the root of the names for the files that will be saved on disk. So the text file of halo information will be 'basename.out', the particle binary data to 'basename.h5', and the locations of particle data in h5 files in 'basename.txt'.

To load the data:

from yt.mods import *
from yt.analysis_modules.halo_finding.api import *

pf = load("data0005")
haloes = LoadHaloes(pf, 'basename')

If you've previously run the merger tree, "MergerHalos" as the basename will work to load halo data. You should be able to do all the same things with the loaded halos as regular haloes.

Good luck!

Stephen Skory
stephenskory at yahoo.com
http://stephenskory.com/