[yt-users] Santa Barbara Cluster Comparison

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 07:28:59 PDT 2011

Hi Casey,

This is something Britton and I have thought about and worked on in a
couple ways over the last several years.  One effort was to start "the
barn", which was pretty popular for a while, but was designed for
scripts and tools that lived outside yt:

http://barn.enzotools.org/

Another thing we have tried is an instance of a piece of software
called "RhodeCode," but that was never really able to take off, and
furthermore seemed too heavyweight for individual scripts and recipes.
 It seems more like something that works for full projects.

For the smallest of scripts, that fit somewhere between a pastebin and
a recipe for the cookbook, one option would be to use the pasteboard.
It's not super functional just yet, and it's still cordoned off into
individual domains (I don't yet know how to unify them) but you can do
this with

yt pasteboard --desc="Santa Barbara Cluster stuff" sbcluster.py

if you've run "yt bootstrap_dev".  This issue, of having both
decentralized control but a centralized place for snippets, is
something I think we should be thinking about longer term.  Something
like djangosnippets.com might be interesting.  But in order for it to
be both useful and productive, it would have to have a very low
buy-in, be populated with a number of useful things, and be the kind
of thing that people would use.  I think I would shy away from having
a specific DVCS component to it, but rather instead have updateable,
distinct pieces of code.

Anyway, those are are my thoughts on the sharing aspect...  Good luck
on the SB Cluster stuff!

Best,

Matt