[yt-users] Clump finding

David Collins dcollins at physics.ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 9 15:37:49 PDT 2011

Hi, Elizabeth--

The clump handling is done by this routine, for reference:
analysis_modules/level_sets/clump_handling.py

> and the derived quantity "_IsBound()"?
> Does the former use the latter? Is it possible to get a list of cells that

The Clump object has an attribute, and the constructor takes and
argument, called 'function'.  This is a string that is evaluated on
each clump before its appended to the hierarchy during find_clumps
(which is done in a recursive manner, finding connected sets between
two density levels).  This defaults to _IsBound.

> comprise each clump such that new properties (mass, angular momentum etc)
> can be calculated from them?

...find_clumps(master_clump,c_min,c_max)

appends a hierarchy of children clumps to master_clump.  Each clump
works like a yt data object, so you can do yt-like things to them,
like

mass47 = mater_clump.children[0].children[47]['CellMass'].sum()

What you typically want are the "finest" clumps, the densest regions
that don't have any further substructure.  These can be gotten by

all_clumps = clump_tools.return_bottom_clumps(master_clump)
(check out this http://paste.enzotools.org/show/1678/ for a script on
how to plot them)

all_clumps is then a flat list that you can work on, which is easier
than traversing the hierarchy.  (clump_tools has a few other useful
tools, as well.  One of these days I'll get my butler Alfred to commit
the rest of the super awesome clump tools I wrote...)

d.

> Could someone possible point me to the source code? I couldn't see which
> routines it was in the yt distribution.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Elizabeth

Sent from my computer.