[yt-users] Clump finding

Elizabeth Tasker taskere at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jun 9 15:17:18 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the tips regarding the potential slice on a log-scale; it
works great.

I've been looking into an alternative way of identifying GMCs in my
galaxy disk. Currently, I do this via a density contour, since this
roughly equates to how it is done observationally, but I would like to
look at gravitationally bound systems as a comparison. The slices I've
taken of the potential field suggest many of these will contain several
of the clouds I currently define separately.

I think the find clumps routine might do what I'd like (which would save
me a huge amount of time!) but I am a bit confused as to how to use it.
In particular, what is the difference between what the script in the
cookbook uses here:

http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/cookbook/recipes.html#find-clumps

and the derived quantity "_IsBound()"?

Does the former use the latter? Is it possible to get a list of cells
that comprise each clump such that new properties (mass, angular
momentum etc) can be calculated from them?

Could someone possible point me to the source code? I couldn't see which
routines it was in the yt distribution.

Thank you!

Elizabeth