[yt-users] sphere object without periodicity?

j s oishi jsoishi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 22:02:15 PST 2011

Hi All,

I want to define a sphere with a center that sits on one face of my
domain, [0., 0.5, 0.5] in unitary coordinates. However, the boundary
conditions in this case are not periodic, and so I don't want
periodicity. I did some preliminary testing, and it appears that
periodicity is being enforced--if I make a sphere of radius 0.25 and
set it at [0., 0.5,0.5] it returns the same number of cells as when it
is at [0.5, 0.5, 0.5]--which is completely enclosed within the domain.
I would expect the sphere to have half as many cells in the former
case if periodicity is not being enforced, as only one hemisphere is
in the domain then. I should point out that this is a non-AMR
simulation. I perused the source, but I didn't see anything that
obviously turned off (or on!) periodicity. Any suggestions would be
most appreciated.

thanks,

JS