[yt-users] yt 2.3 Release Announcement

Stephen Skory s at skory.us
Thu Dec 15 11:44:13 PST 2011

(We encourage you to forward this message to any other interested parties.)
Hello,
Just in time for the New Year, we’re happy to announce the release of
yt version 2.3!  ( http://yt-project.org/ )  The new version includes
many new modules and enhancements, and the usual set of bug fixes over
the last point release. We encourage all users to upgrade to take
advantage of the changes.
yt is a community-developed analysis and visualization toolkit for
astrophysical simulation data. yt provides full support for Enzo,
Orion, Nyx, and FLASH codes, with preliminary support for the RAMSES
code (and a handful of others.)  It can be used to create many common
types of data products, as well as serving as a library for developing
your own data reductions and processes.
Below is a non-comprehensive list of new features and enhancements:
* Improved and expanded documentation located at
http://yt-project.org/doc/.* Boolean logic data containers (joins,
intersections and nots) to select arbitrary data regions.* Multi-level
parallelism for subgroups of MPI tasks.* Extensive answer tests.*
Isocontouring and flux-over-surface calculations, with WebGL
interface.* A reorganized field system.* Adaptive resolution
HEALpix-based all-sky volume rendering.* Radial column density
calculations.* Memory usage, performance enhancements and bug fixes
throughout the code.
Everything, from installation, to development, to a cookbook, can be
found on the homepage: http://yt-project.org/
We have updated the libraries installed with the install script; for
more information, see the “Dependencies” section of the yt docs at
http://yt-project.org/doc/advanced/installing.html.
Development has been sponsored by the NSF, DOE, and various University
funding. We invite you to get involved with developing and using yt!
We’re also holding the FIRST YT WORKSHOP from January 24-26 at the
FLASH center in Chicago.  See the workshop homepage for more
information!  http://yt-project.org/workshop2012/
Please forward this announcement to interested parties.
Sincerely,    The yt development team