[yt-users] Making grid fields from particles

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:46:52 PDT 2011

Hi Eric,

(Thanks for re-sending.)

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Eric Hallman <hallman13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>   I looked through the previous threads on yt-users, and I don't see this
> particular problem described.  Hoping for some help.  So, the quantity
> dark_matter_density is a CIC-deposited particle quantity, which becomes a
> grid field.  I would like to do something like this:
> for every grid voxel, calculate the mean dm particle *velocity* inside that
> voxel
> return as a grid field
> Is that simple using CIC_deposit?  The only mean particle velocity I've seen
> used in yt/enzo before is the one calculated for halos, by using HOP or FOF
> identification.
> thanks!

This has been done in the past for fields like the mean stellar
metallicity.  In that case, cic_deposit was used to deposit both the
total mass in metals and the total mass in particles, then they were
divided.  What I would recommend you do is copy the logic in that
field, but modify it to deposit a velocity-multiplied-by-mass, and
then divide by the total deposited mass.

Hope that helps,

Matt