[yt-users] Making grid fields from particles

Eric Hallman hallman13 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:31:53 PDT 2011

Hello all,
  I looked through the previous threads on yt-users, and I don't see this
particular problem described.  Hoping for some help.  So, the quantity
dark_matter_density is a CIC-deposited particle quantity, which becomes a
grid field.  I would like to do something like this:

for every grid voxel, calculate the mean dm particle *velocity* inside that
voxel
return as a grid field

Is that simple using CIC_deposit?  The only mean particle velocity I've seen
used in yt/enzo before is the one calculated for halos, by using HOP or FOF
identification.

thanks!

Eric