[yt-users] Trajectories

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:17:06 PDT 2011

Hi John,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM, John ZuHone
<jzuhone at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever used yt to construct particle trajectories? I have something I have coded up myself to do this but it is rather slow. For each timestamp, it looks for the particles by index, sorts them in order, and then appends the particle properties to each trajectory.
>
> It could be that although I'm using numpy for all of the array manipulations, that I'm still doing all of this in python, and doing this in cython would probably be faster.

I did something like this in a script I submitted to the hub:

http://hub.yt-project.org/ytScripts/yt-lagrangian-volume/

It's simpler than what you're looking for; it accepts a halo and then
finds the particles in that halo in another timestep and returns the
bounding box of those particles.  It would be trivial, I think, to
mock it up to do what you are looking for -- and it's written in
Cython.  If you want to take it and run with it, I'd suggest you
'fork' on BitBucket and then submit it back to the hub!

-Matt