[yt-users] tracking the masses

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:11:32 PDT 2010

Hi Jean-Claude,

You can get the total mass in the grid in the following way:
pf = load(dataset)
whole_box = pf.h.all_data()
total_mass = whole_box.quantities['TotalQuantity']('CellMassMsun')

You can use the EnzoSimulation class to perform this analysis on all of the
data for one simulation.  Check out a description of that here:
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/extensions/analyzing_an_entire_simulation.html

That will allow you to track the total mass in the box over time.  As far as
your final two points, you might try using the clump finder to locate bound
objects within your simulation.  You can get the total mass in bound clumps
over time and that should take care of those last points.  Information on
the clump finder can be found here:
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/cookbook/recipes.html#find-clumps

Britton