[yt-users] questions about halo profiling

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:34:32 PDT 2010

Hi Irina,

You are correct about the way the halo profiler operates, in that it
calculates the density in spherical shells.

With regard to the use of overdensity, you are correct that the definition
used in the halo profiler is with respect to the mean matter density and not
the critical density.  There are many examples in the literature of both
definitions of overdensity (with repect to critical or mean density) so the
choice is somewhat arbitrary.  I agree that there should be explicit note of
this in the documentation.  I will add one.

Britton