[yt-users] questions about halo profiling

Irina Dvorkin irina at wise.tau.ac.il
Sat Aug 14 10:44:28 PDT 2010

Hello All,

After reading the halo profiler python files, I got the impression
that it reads the position of the halo center and then approximates
the halo to a sphere with this center, and so includes some mass that
is actually not in the halo (for example if the halo is an ellipsoid).
My knowledge of python, however, is rather poor, so it would help me a
lot if you could tell me whether my understanding is correct.

Also, I noticed that both the halo profiler and the halo finder use a
non-standard definition of the virial radius: usually it is defined as
the radius that encompasses a region that is, say, 200 (or other
number) times denser than the *critical* density at that redshift. The
definition in the halo profiler is 200 (or other number) times the
density of *matter*. So I would suggest to specifically mention this
definition in the manual because it can cause confusion.

Thanks,
Irina