[yt-users] Scripting with Quicktime Pro

John Wise jwise at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Apr 29 13:30:41 PDT 2010

Hi all,

This isn't yt related, but I thought most of you would benefit from this.  I usually use Quicktime Pro (v7) to make movies.  I got tired of manually opening up the images and saving them, so I found that Applescript can easily automate this.  It's pretty straightforward, and you can make a shell or python script that writes the Applescript and executes it.

Here's an example Applescript

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/480/

To run it, type "osascript script_name.applescript".

Here's an example Python routine that makes the script and runs it.

http://paste.enzotools.org/show/481/

Unfortunately this doesn't work with the new QuickTime Player in Snow Leopard because they removed the image sequence loader for some reason.  I had to reinstall the old QT from the Optional Installs in the install DVD.

Cheers,
John