[yt-users] Yt not installing right

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:58:14 PST 2009

Hi,

So I had no problem installing yt on my ubuntu box.  I'm running 8.10,
with recent updates applied, and it's a 32-bit pentium 4 machine from
around mid-2004.

I'm running gfortran:

[20:52][/opt/yt]$ gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11) 4.3.2

GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING
<<

version 4.3.2.  Can you tell me which version of gfortran (not g77,
which we're trying to avoid using :) you are running?   This will be
an important datapoint for any future notes I write up about this.

I've uploaded my entire (minus source except for yt source) distribution here:

http://yt.enzotools.org/files/yt-ubuntu-32bit.zip

Unfortunately, it's got some hardcoded paths, so you will at least
have to make it *think* that it's in:

/opt/yt/ ...

so you could either symlink /opt/yt/yt-unknown/ to wherever you unzip
it, or you could just unzip it in /opt/yt/   .

As for the interactive interpreter, "iyt" is just a front end to
ipython.  Running "ipython -pylab" and doing the command "from yt.mods
import *" will get you the same thing as "iyt".  Additionally, running
the standard python interpreter puts you into an interactive
environment as well, and you can import yt as per usual.  I talk about
this a little bit in the documentation:
http://yt.enzotools.org/doc/quick_guide/index.html  All of the
commands inside ipython are commands that will work in the standard
python interpreter if you run "from yt.mods import *" .

Let me know how this goes,

Matt