[yt-users] Yt not installing right

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:10:36 PST 2009

> I tried installing yt-1.5 again now that I had python-dev on my system.  Got
> the same error.

Oof, I am sorry to hear that.  I'll see if I can replicate the problem
on my machine at home, and then get back to you with what I find.

> Please suggest something for my other problem 2.) about not "iyt" in the old
> installation.  Here is the successful old-yt install log and the src
> contents that were actually downloaded by the script for that installation.

Okay, iyt is actually a rather simple extension to the functionality
of IPython.  (IPython can be "easy_install"'d if you don't have it
already.)  It is not necessary, but it does help things out.  You can
get the functionality by:

$ ipython -pylab

from yt.mods import *

There are a couple other functions that I've added to iyt, but they
are not terribly useful just yet.  Please note that you need
PYTHONPATH set correctly here, or else the "from yt.mods import *"
line won't work for you.  I hope this works out -- but if it doesn't,
you can do it all from the regular python interpreter, too, you just
have to plot non-interactively.  (I typically do this, myself -- other
people on the list use IPython,  but it is not my primary entry point
to yt.)  You can plot non-interactively in one window and view the
plots in the other; I've found gqview to be a good application for
this on linux, or even something like firefox!

> Meantime I'll see if I can install the whole yt-1.5 by hand.

Good luck, and please let me know if it works for you.  It should be
fine if you ahve HDF5, matplotlib, numpy all from the operating
system.