[yt-users] Yt not installing right

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 15:14:09 PST 2009

Oh!  I understand.  I apologize.  Yes, yt-1.5 (which has not
officially been released yet, but I am very pleased you are running on
trunk! :) will download and install python2.6 rather than 2.5.
Python2.6 has some memory management improvements.  However, yt does
*not* use anything specific to python2.6 -- you should be just fine
running on python2.5.  So I would say that if you have numpy and
matplotlib installed for python2.5 just go ahead and install the yt
subversion trunk:

$ python2.5 setup.py install

and it should install just fine.  As I recall, you previously had a
working yt install -- you should be able to install the new version
*over* that old version (which is done by using the same python
executable as before and calling 'install'), and it should work just
peachy.  But if that's not the case, let me know?  The install_script
tries very hard to install an isolated environment; if you install
globally, your files may be in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
or /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages .  I wouldn't worry about that for
now, though, and instead maybe just give a shot at installing over it?

-Matt