[yt-users] Quirk when Installing yt

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:31:24 PST 2008

Hi!

> Yt tells me I have to install the gtk+ interface, not originially on my os
> installation before it can install.  To do this I have to load a bunch of
> things not native on my os, which is Ubuntu (linux). Soon as I have the gtk+
> installed then I get a quirky error booting up:

Hmm, interesting -- you shouldn't *have* to install the GTK+ interface
unless you want to use the GUI.  (By default, though, in some old
versions of install_script.sh it tried to require it, but this was
disable-able.)  However, of course if you want to use the GUI you'll
need it, like you said!

> I can login okay and everything runs as normal, also Yt, so far (just
> command line).  Is there any way the origin of this quirk can effect Yt?
>  I'm searching forums for my and tracing the problem on my system but just
> wondering if anyone more familiar with the Yt interface might know off-hand.

Nope, it should be totally fine -- from my own googling, which I
suspect mirrors yours, this seems to be localized to the installation
of gdm themes, which govern the login screen.  Yt should be immune to
this.

Give a shot at running the GUI, "reason", and let us know if it works?

> build-essential  libsdl1.2debian  libsdl1.2-dev  libgl1-mesa-dev
>  libglu1-mesa-dev  libsdl-image1.2  libsdl-image1.2-dev
> libatk1.0-0 l ibatk1.0-dev  libpango1.0-0  libpango1.0-dev  libcairo2
> libcairo2-dev  libtiff4  libtiff4-dev  tcl  tcl-dev
> tk  tk-dev  libgtk1.2-dev  mesa-common-dev  xlibmesa-gl-dev
>  libglu1-mesa-dev  libjpeg62-dev

Ahh, I see!  I think one of the issues we've had in the past with
Ubuntu is that the -dev packages need to be installed for the
installation script to run.  I'm going to (this week) take a look at a
fresh Ubuntu install to see which specific package names need to be
installed to avoid having to run the installation script at all, and I
will post some instructions on the Wiki about this.  One should be
able to get everything other than yt itself just from apt-get.

Good luck, and let us know if 'reason' works or not!