[yt-dev] Starting conversation about Py2 deprecation

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:27:38 PDT 2017

my thought on this is that removing python 2 support should occur on a
major release, not a point release.  It seems odd that yt 4.0 supports both
2 and 3, but 4.1 drops python 2 support.  Might be confusing for users.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> On the call yesterday, the topic of dropping support for Py2 came up.
> This site provides some context:
>
> http://www.python3statement.org/
>
> At present, we're planning to have a 3.4 release sometime in the early
> summer, and then aiming for a yt 4.0 sometime about six months later.  yt
> 4.0 will have the demeshening.
>
> A proposal was floated to have yt 4.0 be the last release that explicitly
> supports python 2, and then to "softly" drop support for python 2 during
> the cycle for yt 4.1, which would be about six months later, we
> anticipate.  This would mean not testing on py2 anymore and potentially
> removing some of the shims and six calls to dual-support.
>
> Some more discussion is in the meeting notes:
>
> https://github.com/yt-project/meeting-notes/blob/master/notes-20170419.md
>
> I don't know if this is something we should actively discuss yet, but I
> wanted to put it out there.  I personally support this proposal.

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale