[yt-dev] Issue #1221: Improving docs for basic manipulation of halo catalogue data (yt_analysis/yt)

Anonymous issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Mon May 23 13:46:34 PDT 2016

New issue 1221: Improving docs for basic manipulation of halo catalogue data
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1221/improving-docs-for-basic-manipulation-of

Anonymous:

As a new user of yt, I've found it exceedingly hard to find just basic examples of manipulating the halo catalogues. A lot of the examples, whilst great, are designed for more advanced users who are interested in doing renderings, halo profiles etc. which are usually stage 3 or 4 for the entry level user.  The only place I can find information about accessing the actual halo catalogue content (e.g. halo masses, positions etc. from Rockstar) is here:

http://yt-project.org/docs/dev/analyzing/analysis_modules/halo_transition.html?highlight=halocatalog#getting-halo-information

This simple example is actually confusing in and of itself as it isn't clear if this is the masses of the particles in the halo or just the halo masses themselves. I thought there would be just a simple way to access the halo catalogue information (e.g. hc['Rvir']) without doing anything more sophisticated like masking/filtering. It would be great if some new docs could be added for just really fundamental manipulation of the data loaded from the halo finder output.

Responsible: yt_analysis