[yt-dev] [GSoC] [Domain Contexts] Hello Everyone

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:27:03 PDT 2016

Hi Kumar,

I'm very glad to see you're interested in this project.  Nathan's
suggestions for how to begin are right on target.  Please, download and
install yt, and then try running some of the recipes in the cookbook
(available in the documentation) to get a feel for what yt is capable of
and how it works.  You can download sample data from yt.project.org/data.
Get a few different types of datasets to see what some of the differences
are.  Also, familiarize yourself with the concept of fields in yt.  What
are fields, what are derived fields, etc.

Once you get somewhat familiar with using the code, you can start exploring
the source.  As Nathan suggested, read through the developer documentation
first.  Then, start looking through the files in the yt/fields directory,
specifically the ones names *_fields.py.  These are where various types of
fields (i.e., for astronomy, for fluids, etc.).  You'll notice that these
have functions above which appears the line @register_field_plugin.  This
is the system that makes all of the fields available to each dataset.  If
you then do some grepping of the source, you will see what it is that
register_field_plugin does, and what data structures it operates on.  You
will come to some code that loads all of the field plugins that exist.
This is where we will want to make the code smarter and only load fields
appropriate to each dataset.  Look through this part of the code and start
to think about how that might be done.

Once you've done that, look back at the project description and
specifically at the list of deliverables.  This should help you form a plan
of action.  Please, feel free to contact myself or the other project
supervisor, Matt Turk.

Britton