[yt-dev] Some updates from AAS

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 13:38:14 PST 2016

Hi folks,

I wanted to write a quick email about some neat things that I heard
about at AAS.

The coolest one was that, on the heels of their announcement that
software papers (of any length) would be welcome in AAS journals, the
AAS is going to be making it possible for some articles to feature
updating author lists.  These author lists would be tied in to ADS as
well.  What this would mean is that future software and instrument
papers can have authors added to their list, which will be tracked by
ADS.  I am over the moon about this, as it is by far my most wanted
feature for software papers.  More information will be coming, and
this is not ready yet, but Chris Lintott has been pushing this
forward.

The other one, which is also quite cool, is that interactive figures
are on their way to AAS journals.  What this precisely means and how
it will be implemented is still being decided, but Gus Muench has been
working toward it; he's said that d3 and plotly type plots will be on
the list of things to include, and of course there as the Vogt paper
from last year about X3D plots in AAS journals.