[yt-dev] [yt-users] POLL: A New Default Colormap

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:53:08 PST 2016

Hi all,

The results are in!  We had 54 responses.

First choice:

CMAP1: 5 (9.3%)
CMAP2: 29 (53.7%)
CMAP3: 5 (9.3%)
CMAP4: 15 (27.8%)

Second choice:

CMAP1: 11 (20.8%)
CMAP2: 6 (11.3%)
CMAP3: 9 (17%)
CMAP4: 27 (50.9%)

Since CMAP1 got a majority, we don't need to go to instant runoff, but it
looks like CMAP4 is the second choice.  There were a number of comments
left with the survey, available here:
http://paste.yt-project.org/show/L28LFgbcV8F1SNlyZxwi/

Cameron and Nathan both asked to update their cmaps slightly to respond to
comments, but I think we can include all four.  Once the updated versions
of CMAP2 and CMAP4 are in, I'll issue a PR that includes the following
things:

 * The new colormaps added into our available maps
 * The default colormap made into a configuration variable, with its
setting set to the CMAP2 name by default
 * Removing the matplotlib.rc() call that changes the cmap globally for all
image plots
 * All internal-to-yt imshow and whatnot calls specifically set to using
the config value for the default colormap

Thanks everyone!

-Matt