[yt-dev] Issue #1302: `take_log` works on generic field name, but not front end name (yt_analysis/yt)

Michael Zingale issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri Dec 9 06:39:50 PST 2016

New issue 1302: `take_log` works on generic field name, but not front end name
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/1302/take_log-works-on-generic-field-name-but

Michael  Zingale:

This script reads in a Castro (boxlib) file and makes two plots.  The goal is to not take the log.  For the first attempt, we disable log using the field `('boxlib', 'density')`.  For the next, we use `('gas', 'density').

Note these are ailased to one another as the print shows:

```
On-Disk Field (boxlib, density): (units: g/cm**3, display_name: '\rho')
Alias Field for "('boxlib', 'density')" (gas, density): (units: g/cm**3, display_name: '\rho')
```

but only the one with `gas` successfully disables the log.

```
import yt

ds = yt.load("plt00000")

print(ds.fields.boxlib.density)
print(ds.fields.gas.density)

ds.index
ds.field_info['boxlib','density'].take_log = False

p = yt.SlicePlot(ds,"theta",'density')
p.save("densBoxLib.png")

ds = yt.load("plt00000")

ds.index
ds.field_info['gas','density'].take_log = False

p = yt.SlicePlot(ds,"theta", 'density')
p.save("densGas.png")
```

The test dataset is here:

http://bender.astro.sunysb.edu/random/plt00000.tgz

(for some reason, I can no longer open the datasets on the yt page, so something changed in the front end that I need to investigate separately, and/or, update the sample datasets)