[yt-dev] Ways to make the yt community more welcoming

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:26:29 PDT 2015

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for sending this out.  I've looked it over, and I think we
might have bits and pieces of the higher levels, but it seems to me
that we're reliably somewhere between level 0 and 1.  We are missing a
few level 1 items, like how to contribute non-code things, up to date
step-by-step tutorials, and feature cut-off dates, but I think we have
the others.  And we're doing a bit better on some level 2
contributions, like self-contained projects, but not so much on things
like newbie todo lists, or available mentors.  (We have mentors, but I
think we might not be quite at the level that is meant in level 2.)
But I do think we're doign a good job of thanking people, providing
informal communications, and the code of conduct.  When we get down to
level 3 or 4, we start to get a bit more patchy -- I like to think we
have a good track record of admitting mistakes, but we could
definitely do better encouraging diverse voices and increasing plans
for succession.  We don't have a community manager.  Level 5 contains
things I want to see us do much better about -- providing child care,
30%+ new voices, and participation in community diversity programs
especially.

This is a really, really great blog post.  I'd like to see us start
trying to take action on some of these things.  What do you think our
strategy could be?

-Matt