[yt-dev] [yt-users] Mailing list archives

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:05:10 PDT 2015

Hi John,

(Dropping users' list)

I have investigated, and we could potentially move mailing list hosting to
NCSA without losing the existing archives.  The biggest issue I see with
that would be that for it to happen, yt-project.org (which I'd want to move
the lists to) would need to be transferred to NCSA/UIUC's ownership.  While
this means I might not need to pay the renewal fees out of the money I
would otherwise be squandering on exploring limited edition flavors of
mountain dew, it would also mean that the project would become ever more
affiliated with NCSA, which is something I have been somewhat leery about.
Part of the reason for this is that I'm sensitive to it being "an NCSA
project" or being too strongly tied to a single institution, particularly
because that may have weird, difficult-to-quantify ramifications with the
community.  On the other hand, maybe I'm making too much out of that.
 (Although, it would mean folks would need NCSA usernames -- easily
available, mind you -- to log in to the webserver.)

If we decided that was all fine and happytimes, we could do the migration
like this, avoiding any loss of information:

 * Remain on dreamhost long enough to migrate all the mailing lists to
lists.yt-project.org, including setting up email forwarding from the
spacepope.org email addresses.  (This step is somewhat optional.)
 * Move the DNS and archives and mailing lists to an NCSA-hosted instance,
still at lists.yt-project.org.
 * Move all the web site stuff over to yt-project.org hosted at NCSA.
 * I close down my dreamhost account.

Now, in principle, I'm fine with this -- lots of projects are hosted at
institutions.  But, yt also predates any NCSA affiliation.

So, I dunno.

-Matt