[yt-dev] New code frontend

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:34:44 PDT 2015

Hi Nicola,

Today, Jill and I sat down and worked out how to get a voronoi
tesselation plotted in yt, using only existing machinery.  (We're
going to try out getting a new set of machinery very soon...)
Quantitative analysis should work just fine without any chances, but
for visualizing things like slices and projections, we came up with
this:

def nearest_neighbor(field, data):
    pos = data["PartType0", "particle_position"].in_units("code_length")
    dens = data["PartType0", "Density"].in_units("g/cm**3")
    rv = data.smooth(pos, [dens], method="nearest", nneighbors=1)
    # Now some quick unit conversions.
    rv = data.apply_units(rv, "g/cm**3")
    return rv
yt.add_field(("deposit", "PartType0_nn"), function = nearest_neighbor,
            validators = [yt.ValidateSpatial(0)],
            units = "g/cm**3")

This sets up a derived field that deposits the density of the nearest
particle into each mesh point for the image.  It own't look good
unless you also increase the resolution; we did this, although keep in
mind that our simulation is pretty small:

ds = yt.load("snap_029.hdf5", over_refine_factor=4, n_ref=64)

the over_refine_factor=4 means to use 2**4 == 16 zones on a side for
the octree mesh, where a new level is added every time n_ref (64)
particles are in an Oct.

-Matt