[yt-dev] on adding new frontends

Michael Zingale michael.zingale at stonybrook.edu
Tue Oct 7 07:40:32 PDT 2014

My vote would be that if someone is willing to maintain a new frontend,
then it should go in, so it keeps sync with the rest of yt.

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Chris Malone <chris.m.malone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> Are there any requirements/restrictions on what types of codes should be
> added as new frontends in the yt repository?
>
> I ask because yesterday I wrote a frontend for a collaborator working with
> the Dumses code.  As best I can tell, Dumses is a stripped-down version of
> Ramses, but without the AMR and with a completely different file format.
> Also, as best I can tell, only a handful of people (mainly at the CEA?)
> work on this code, and it is nigh-impossible to find any information on the
> interwebs about it.
>
> Should I fold this new frontend into the main yt repo, or just give the
> users of Dumses the frontend code and let them do what they will?  The
> former might pull in a couple more users/developers, but the latter would
> keep us from cluttering yt/frontends.
>
> Chris

Michael Zingale
Associate Professor

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy • Stony Brook University • Stony Brook, NY
11794-3800
*phone*:  631-632-8225
*e-mail*: Michael.Zingale at stonybrook.edu
*web*: http://www.astro.sunysb.edu/mzingale