[yt-dev] on adding new frontends

Chris Malone chris.m.malone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:37:49 PDT 2014

All,

Are there any requirements/restrictions on what types of codes should be
added as new frontends in the yt repository?

I ask because yesterday I wrote a frontend for a collaborator working with
the Dumses code.  As best I can tell, Dumses is a stripped-down version of
Ramses, but without the AMR and with a completely different file format.
Also, as best I can tell, only a handful of people (mainly at the CEA?)
work on this code, and it is nigh-impossible to find any information on the
interwebs about it.

Should I fold this new frontend into the main yt repo, or just give the
users of Dumses the frontend code and let them do what they will?  The
former might pull in a couple more users/developers, but the latter would
keep us from cluttering yt/frontends.

Chris