[yt-dev] proper handling species fields

Britton Smith brittonsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:37:24 PDT 2014

Hi Chris,

Thanks for starting this discussion.  As you have stated, trying to
encompass all domains with a single nomenclature probably won't work.
Currently, the field system is set up to load all field plugins for every
dataset, but I think we should be able to move to having different
frontends declare which plugins they want and only load those.  With that
in place, for example, the current species field plugin can be renamed to
be astrophysics-specific and another one can be created that is nuclear
physics-specific.  If people are in favor of something like this, then I
would suggest that we try to expand YTEP-0003 to different domains and
establish the naming conventions there.

Britton