[yt-dev] Adding communications plumbing to yt - is zeromq already used by yt?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:00:21 PDT 2014

Hi Stuart,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Levy, Stuart A <salevy at illinois.edu> wrote:

>  Hello yt developers!
>
> In thinking about adding communications plumbing to yt, so that it could
> listen & respond to requests made over the network somehow (e.g. "using
> currently loaded dataset, render an image from the following viewpoint").

This sounds really cool!  I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

> We could roll our own using low-level socket stuff, and a select() or
> something in the main loop - that wouldn't be too bad.  But I see that the
> zeromq messaging library is already among the dependencies of yt.   At
> least, ipython depends on zeromq.
>

> So the question(s) are,
>     does yt itself already use zeromq?   (if so, then it sounds as though
> new communications stuff should use it too)

yt does use zeromq in a few places, but only to talk to IPython. We only
list zeromq as an indirect dependency to support the IPython notebook.

>    If yt doesn't, then any advice on choosing which path to take?
>
>    If we roll our own with a poll-for-message in yt's main loop somewhere,

Right now yt doesn't have any sort of event loop.  You would need to create
your own main loop, I think.  You might be interested in looking at the
yt-enzo bridge, which embeds yt in the Enzo simulation code's event loop.

Others will likely have more detailed feedback here, but I thought I'd jump
in and answer what I know off-hand.