[yt-dev] Adding communications plumbing to yt - is zeromq already used by yt?

Levy, Stuart A salevy at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 13 09:48:06 PDT 2014

Hello yt developers!

In thinking about adding communications plumbing to yt, so that it could listen & respond to requests made over the network somehow (e.g. "using currently loaded dataset, render an image from the following viewpoint").

We could roll our own using low-level socket stuff, and a select() or something in the main loop - that wouldn't be too bad.  But I see that the zeromq messaging library is already among the dependencies of yt.   At least, ipython depends on zeromq.

So the question(s) are,
    does yt itself already use zeromq?   (if so, then it sounds as though new communications stuff should use it too)
   If yt doesn't, then any advice on choosing which path to take?

   If we roll our own with a poll-for-message in yt's main loop somewhere,
       then where in the yt source tree is that main loop's code?