[yt-dev] Particle Deposition fields and grid boundaries

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:45:21 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to understand how the particle deposition fields work for
> grid-based codes. Specifically, how does yt handle particles that are close
> to the grid boundaries, so that the CIC interpolation stencil involves cells
> on grid(s) other than the one that contains the particle position?. Like,
> say I did:
>
> import yt
> ds = yt.load(fn)
> g = ds.index.grids[0]
> print g['deposit', 'all_cic']
>
> How does yt handle the fact that particles other than those living on "g"
> can contribute to the total CIC density? Does it grab a layer of "ghost
> particles" somehow? I can't seem to find where that happens.
>
> Sorry if I'm just missing something obvious here...

It doesn't, and you're not.  This is something it should do, but does
not currently.  If you're using a "smoothing" operation, it will, as
then it handles non-local particles, but deposit operations don't do
ghost zones.

This is something we should fix, and that we probably could by simply
making all the CIC fields ValidateSpatial(1).  Can you give that a
shot?