[yt-dev] Particle Deposition fields and grid boundaries

Andrew Myers atmyers2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:55:44 PDT 2014

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to understand how the particle deposition fields work for
grid-based codes. Specifically, how does yt handle particles that are close
to the grid boundaries, so that the CIC interpolation stencil involves
cells on grid(s) other than the one that contains the particle position?.
Like, say I did:

import yt
ds = yt.load(fn)
g = ds.index.grids[0]
print g['deposit', 'all_cic']

How does yt handle the fact that particles other than those living on "g"
can contribute to the total CIC density? Does it grab a layer of "ghost
particles" somehow? I can't seem to find where that happens.

Sorry if I'm just missing something obvious here...

Best,
Andrew