[yt-dev] Strange behavior on SlicePlots with Chombo data in yt-3.0

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:41:19 PDT 2014

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Andrew Myers <atmyers2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm seeing a strange issue with Chombo data in yt-3.0. This is before any
> recent changes I made refactoring the frontend. Attached are two images of
> the same slice through the same dataset, one with yt-3.0 and one with
> yt-2.6. The image looks fine in yt-2.6, but there are clearly artifacts at
> the level boundaries for yt-3.0. What's strange is that, if I loop over all
> the grids and dump out the density, I get *exactly* the same answers for 3.0
> and 2.6. It's almost like there is some kind of additive blending thing
> going on for the 3.0 slice plots, though.
>
> I'm a bit at a loss for where to look for this. Has anyone seen something
> like this before?

My first suspicion is that there's an improper masking going on --
that coarse grids have no child masks.  Can you run this diagnostic:

2.6:
sum(g.child_mask.sum() for g in pf.h.grids)

3.0:
sum(g.child_mask.sum() for g in ds.index.grids)

Also looking at things like the
.quantities.total_quantity("cell_volume") would help.

-Matt