[yt-dev] field line tracing problems

Sam Skillman samskillman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:14:23 PDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

(Offline we went back and forth a bit, I think what we came to was probably
right. I just want to follow up here.)

The issue seems to be that during the construction of vertex-centered data,
the periodicity of the fields are assumed, and the streamlines go nuts.
 The ideal fix is to get non-periodic vertex-centered data working, but
that might take a bit. The quick fix/hack is to modify either the
get_vertex_centered_data function in yt/data_objects/grid_patch.py or the
logic in _integrate_through_brick in yt/visualization/streamlines.py.  You
could cut off the integration when it gets close to dx away from the
left/right domain edges.

Sorry this was buried, we should probably raise some sort of warning if the
simulation data is not periodic.

Sam