[yt-dev] Removing some analysis modules, removing yt.analysis_modules.api

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:41:23 PDT 2014

+1;

I think it would be good to continue having individual api.py files for
each of the analysis modules so that one can be sure to load all of the
necessary functionality to run one analysis module at a time, but I don't
think we need to have all of the analysis modules (which provide lots of
disparate functionality) artificially wrapped into a single api as is
currently done.  It has been the source of problems in the past (e.g if one
module is broken, you cannot load any of them when loading from the general
api).

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM, John ZuHone <jzuhone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've issued a PR with some potentially controversial changes:
>

> https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/pull-request/1009/removing-analysis-modules-as-per-trello/diff#comment-2383950
>
> which removes a few analysis modules as per this Trello card:
>
> https://trello.com/c/tJuM4kkk/23-remove-analysis-modules-as-needed
>
> Britton has also suggested that we do away with yt.analysis_modules.api
> entirely, as importing it imports a whole bunch of stuff you don't need,
> especially when you only need one module at a time (which is usually the
> case).
>
> I'm +1 on this, but wanted to get others' takes.
>
> Best,
>
> John

Cameron Hummels
Postdoctoral Researcher