[yt-dev] Issue #779: Iterating over a time series is substantially slower in unitrefactor (yt_analysis/yt)

Nathan Goldbaum issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Mon Feb 10 19:24:30 PST 2014

New issue 779: Iterating over a time series is substantially slower in unitrefactor
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/779/iterating-over-a-time-series-is

Nathan Goldbaum:

This came up when I noticed time series iteration seemed slow.  The script I'm using to test this is here:

It loops over a list of enzo outputs, finds an active particle, and prints out its mass.

I've attached the raw cProfile traces to this issue and have uploaded pyprof2html visualizations of the data to my website:

http://ngoldbaum.net/time_series_comparison/no_units/
http://ngoldbaum.net/time_series_comparison/with_units/

It looks like even though field detection is substantially faster using the new field system, the unit subsystem is still so slow that it dominates the total runtime.

I've provisionally assigned this to myself in hopes that I'll be able to optimize things using this test dataset.  Let me know if you'd like to take a crack at this before I can get to it.

Responsible: ngoldbaum