[yt-dev] Differences between on-axis projections and off-axis projections

Cameron Hummels chummels at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:58:33 PDT 2014

Hey everyone,

Now that the righthandedness has gone into the PlotWindow objects, making
slices and projections of isolated disk galaxy simulations yields the
y-projection having a vertically oriented disk as seen here in an image
generated by Mike Butler:

http://www.ics.uzh.ch/~butler/Enzo_nofeedback_1000Myr_Sigma.png

I suppose we could modify the ProjectionPlot framework to allow a keyword
to specify the x-axis and y-axis vectors, but I was just trying to make
equivalent projections using the OffAxisProjectionPlot object since that
allows for one to explicitly specify a north_vector.  Unfortunately, I'm
finding some inconsistencies between the ProjectionPlot (on-axis) images
and the OffAxisProjectionPlot images (specifying vectors to be on-axis).

This simple script demonstrates what I'm talking about:

http://paste.yt-project.org/show/5049/

Running this script yields 4 images:

off_axis_proj.png - http://i.imgur.com/CKbq5iO.png
on_axis_proj.png - http://i.imgur.com/2iBucuv.png
off_axis_weighted_proj.png - http://i.imgur.com/RQV2REP.png
on_axis_weighted_proj.png - http://i.imgur.com/CNWHyQS.png

As you can see, the off_axis_proj is using significantly different limits
than the on_axis_proj, which makes me think it isn't doing a true line
integral, but I haven't investigated this closely.  While the weighted
projections are better, they still have slight differences in their limits.
 Is this expected and I'm just messing something up here, or is this a true
bug?

Cameron

--
Cameron Hummels