[yt-dev] License switch: remove author tags

Anthony Scopatz scopatz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 14:05:55 PDT 2013

I have some amount of experience with, though please don't confuse that
with legal counsel.

So both J and Nathan correct.  The "yt collaboration" or "yt team" is not a
legal entity.  Because of the that copyright is held by the individual
contributors.  However, in the license document when you say "yt
collaboration" that is understood as "the authors."  Which is part of why
you should publish an author list.  However, what goes along with this is
that the individual authors are personally liable for the code.  This is
why having a license is important.  Open source license shield you from
liability because they explicitly state that they offer no warranty and the
user assumes the risk.  (And since it is software it is not as if someone
will accidentally cut off their hand or something...unless you are David
Beazley.)

That said, you have three basic options:

1. leave the license and liability and copyright where it is, with the
individual authors.
2. Communally decide to give one person copyright, they *are* a legal
entity,
3. Assign copyright to a neutral third party organization which is a legal
entity, e.g. NumFOCUS*, Software Freedom Conservancy, a University.

Note that issues related to this are only ever important if someone decides
to litigate or you want to trademark something.  For the overwhelming
majority of projects, these never happen.

Be Well
Anthony

* Note that this is part of why we started NumFOCUS.  Though I admit that
negotiating with the bigger projects on what a successful sponsorship
agreement looks like is taking longer than everyone would like.  We do hold
a few copyrights though currently.