[yt-dev] "Ten Simple Rules for Reproducible Research"

Douglas Harvey Rudd drudd at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 25 07:38:14 PDT 2013

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I think the notion of computational cost should be included
here, particularly with 7.  A numerical simulation analysis is, fundamentally, something that takes
a random seed and code revision number and produces a plot.  You can store intermediate data
products, but each additional step introduces the possibility of error, version skew, etc, and incurs
the costs of data storage, archival, and migration.  Perhaps a high-level caching layer would be
useful in an analysis tool that also acted as workflow manager...

Only those stages
Douglas Rudd
Scientific Computing Consultant
Research Computing Center