[yt-dev] Issue #695: add subsection in developers docs on how to "dig into the source" (yt_analysis/yt)

Cameron Hummels issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Mon Oct 28 19:49:37 PDT 2013

New issue 695: add subsection in developers docs on how to "dig into the source"
https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issue/695/add-subsection-in-developers-docs-on-how

Cameron Hummels:

this is sort of a gray section in between yt use and yt development, so perhaps it is better left to the help docs (or at least linked from the help docs).  it's for when a user cannot find what they're looking for in the documentation, or the api docs, and they need to just dig into yt and look around.

we need to lay out how the yt installer directory structure is laid out (it is partially done in: developing/developing.html#how-to-read-the-source-code , but it could be more explicit about the overall structure).  we should also demonstrate the use of ``grin`` or ``grep -r`` and how one can find what they're looking for that way in the top of the source tree.

i think this is a good stepping stone between being a user and being a developer.