[yt-dev] Removing the max_level keyword argument from ProjectionPlot

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:07:19 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As part of the eternal journey that is making yt's plotting code as awesome
> as possible, we've endeavored to make the plotting code as flexible as it
> needs to be for quick use but simple enough that a use isn't overloaded by
> unnecessary or barely-used keyword arguments.
>
> Right now there is a pending PR to rework some of the plotting routines,
> adding a couple of new features, and, per the subject of this e-mail,
> removing the max_level keyword from ProjectionPlot.
>
> I could see how having max_level might be useful if projections are very
> slow for a user's dataset.  However, she should be able to get the exact
> same result by explicitly constructing a projection data object and then
> creating a plot for it using projection.to_pw().  I also think in practice
> max_level isn't used very often since projections are quite fast, even on
> large datasets.

I'm strongly in favor of keeping the ProjectionPlot, SlicePlot, etc,
all focused on display-related items, rather than data-related items.
I feel like they should be a good way to make sensible default objects
and then detailed modifications of plots from them.  That's why we
have .to_pw(), right?  :)  But I would like to hear if anyone
disagrees and thinks we need to keep max_level.