[yt-dev] Removing the max_level keyword argument from ProjectionPlot

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:05:35 PDT 2013

Hi all,

As part of the eternal journey that is making yt's plotting code as awesome as possible, we've endeavored to make the plotting code as flexible as it needs to be for quick use but simple enough that a use isn't overloaded by unnecessary or barely-used keyword arguments.

Right now there is a pending PR to rework some of the plotting routines, adding a couple of new features, and, per the subject of this e-mail, removing the max_level keyword from ProjectionPlot.

I could see how having max_level might be useful if projections are very slow for a user's dataset.  However, she should be able to get the exact same result by explicitly constructing a projection data object and then creating a plot for it using projection.to_pw().  I also think in practice max_level isn't used very often since projections are quite fast, even on large datasets.

Am I incorrect in that assessment?  Please let me know if you'd like to keep the max_level keyword around and I'll happily revert that part of the pull request.

Thanks for your help,

Nathan