[yt-dev] Public testing dashboard

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 15:13:51 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Kacper Kowalik has recently put a lot of work into improving yt's testing
infrastructure.  In the past day, he's moved our continuous integration
service from a server behind a firewall at his university in Torun to a
publicly accessible server:

http://piernik.astri.umk.pl:8080/

The Jenkins instance Kacper has set up will automatically run the full
testing suite for all incoming pull requests and direct commits to both the
main yt_analysis/yt repo as well as the yt_analysis/yt-3.0 repo.  The
results are reported in real time both on the jenkins dashboard as well as
via an IRC bot that idles in the #yt chatroom on freenode.  If you're on
IRC, you just need to open the link sent by the yt-fido bot when testing
finishes for your PR.

Just as an example, this is the test results for my PR #555:

http://piernik.astri.umk.pl:8080/job/py2.7-yt-2.x_testing/11/

Since the CI we run for yt_analysis/yt include answer tests, Kacper has set
up subprojects the unit tests, answer tests for the slower frontends, and
plot window answer tests.  This allows the subprojects to run in parallel,
speeding up test reporting.  Generally, you'll want to click on the link
for a failing subproject and then click the link for the console output to
get a traceback or test failure report.

Another cool thing: here is the flake8 (code static analysis and style
checking) report for yt-3.0:

http://piernik.astri.umk.pl:8080/job/py2.7-yt_analysis-3.0/violations/?

Jenkins does a ton more stuff and there are still some loose ends to tie up
and some new features Kacper wants to add, but this should be a very useful
service going forward.

I want to take the opportunity to thank Kacper for all the time he's put
into this.  We now have a really excellent CI service which will be a big
aid in the work of improving the test coverage of the code base, improving
PEP8 compliance, and instantly detecting regressions.

-Nathan