[yt-dev] data on different AMR levels

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:05:25 PST 2013

Hi Elizabeth,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Elizabeth Tasker
<tasker at astro1.sci.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working with Nick Gnedin on looking at the density properties of my galaxy on different AMR levels.
>
> For this, we'd like to grab all the cells on one AMR level, divide them so that they have a fixed cell size and output.

I'm not entirely sure I understand this process... :(

> Is there a quick way of doing this in yt?
>
> I *think* the answer will be no, since (for example) covering_grid will grab the best data available to make the mesh, not just the data from a single level. Is that right? We specifically need to avoid interpolation.
>
> If so, probably it's easiest just to grab the cells on one level via:
>
> gridnum = [g for g in pf.h.grids if g.Level == l]

You can also do this with pf.h.select_grids( level )

> then divide them into the right size. Is there a way of passing a grid to covering_grid to make it a particular size? i.e. something like:
>
> for g in gridnum:
>         grid_fixedcellsize = g.covering_grid(......)

Covering grids go up to a given level, specified in the constructor,
which might accomplish what you're looking for; i.e., you specify a
left edge, a level (which fixes the dx) and a dimensionality (which
fixes the right_edge).  What you are describing here is similar to
what's done if you do:

g.retrieve_ghost_zones( N, [field_list], smoothed = False)

You can also explore grid_collection, which accepts any list of grids
and then returns a data object.

If you describe a bit more exactly the format you want to get out,
perhaps I can give a better example?  I think what you're describing
is probably doable, I'm just not sure precisely what it will look like
so I can't quite envision it.

-Matt