[yt-dev] JIRA

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:07:07 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Today we got an Atlassian on-demand instance of JIRA:

http://yt-project.atlassian.net/

We're currently under evaluation for an Open Source license, but I
think we should be a good candidate.  As noted in the other thread
(and as we hashed out on IRC), JIRA is great for long-lived items, and
I think we should stick to BitBucket for minor bugs and for having
people that are mostly outside the development process record bugs.
Although, after some chatter in IRC, it seems like we'd all be pretty
keen on moving everything over, we just don't have a mechanism for
doing that.  (Particularly since you can collect JIRA issues from
anywhere: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.collector.plugin.jira-issue-collector-plugin
)

Anyway.  JIRA is targeted at so-called Agile development, which we
don't really do, so I've gone ahead and slimmed down the issue tracker
to reflect what we use.  I've invited the people who were in IRC today
and if you'd like to join as well (we have a 10 user limit at the
moment) just ping me.

Next steps:

0) Briefly browse the JIRA-101 linked on the homepage.
1) Convert some of the bigger, non-bug issues over.  If you have one
you have been thinking about or working on (like Cython kD-trees, or
profile plotting, or SPH kernels, or Rockstar halo finding, movie
making, etc etc), try out converting it over.
2) Think about if this is a workflow that can work for you/us.  The
linkages happen anywhere in BitBucket, so if you leave a comment with
YT-## where ## is the number of an issue, it will link directly back.
The same goes for comments in issues and commits.  Do we like this?
Is it worthwhile?

This is still an evaluation period, so we should regroup in a while
and figure out if the value-add over the bitbucket issue tracker is
worth the additional system.  Please also write back if you have
suggestions about changes to the system or thoughts on this.