[yt-dev] Enzo 2.2 Public Release

Michael Kuhlen mqk at astro.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:59:00 PST 2012

Enzo 2.2

Nov. 30, 2012

We are proud to announce the public release of Enzo version 2.2. This
intermediate release contains several new physics modules, reorganized and
updated documentation, revamped answer testing, improvements to code
infrastructure, as well as numerous bug fixes. In a little bit more detail:

1. New physics capabilities — (a) Thermal and chemical feedback from Type
Ia supernovae, with mass loss and luminosity fits provided by K. Nagamine;
(b) H2-regulated star formation, in which the star formation rate is
proportional to the density of molecular hydrogen (determined from
Krumholz, McKee, & Tumlinson 2009), rather than total gas density.

2. Upgrades to the Enzo Answer Testing Framework — Includes both functional
improvements and vastly improved documentation. The results of two test
suites ("quick" and "pull") have been uploaded to an Amazon Cloud instance,
allowing users to compare to an Enzo Community "gold standard".
Alternatively, answer testing can also be done by comparing to local
results.

3. Improved Documentation — (a) Descriptions of 175 previously undocumented
parameters; (b) Parameters have been broken up into groups; (c) Brief
explanations of the functionality provided by (most) Enzo source files; (d)
Description of the new Enzo performance timers; (e) Examples of how to
debug Enzo.

4. Code infrastructure improvement — All Fortran routines have been
modified to explicitly specify the type at compile time, eliminating the
need for compiler flags to ensure 64-bit precision.

5. Timing and performance measurement and plotting tools — Support for
simple, lightweight measurements for the timing and performance of Enzo.
This allows one to examine which functions are using the majority of the
simulation runtime, and how this varies across multiple processors.

6. Bug Fixes - see the Enzo 2.2 Changelog at
http://enzo-project.org/ReleaseNotes.html

With this release we continue our efforts to consolidate The Enzo Project's
web presence, with the goal of lowering the barrier to entry for new users
and easing further code development:

* Enzo's main webpage continues to be http://enzo-project.org. Links and
information can be found here for both developers and general users.

* Both stable (https://bitbucket.org/enzo/enzo-stable) and development (
https://bitbucket.org/enzo/enzo-dev) versions of the Enzo code are now
hosted on Bitbucket.

* For news and updates please follow our google+ page: The Enzo Project (
https://plus.google.com/115923030596894217717)

The Enzo Development Team

*  Dr. Michael Kuhlen              Theoretical Astrophysics Center  *
*  email: mqk at astro.berkeley.edu   UC Berkeley                      *
*  cell phone: (831) 588-1468      B-116 Hearst Field Annex # 3411  *
*  skype username: mikekuhlen      Berkeley, CA 94720               *