[yt-dev] Fwd: [IPython-dev] Nice WebGL integration in the notebook at the IPython sprints at PyCon Canada (tried JSMol first)

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:26:48 PST 2012

This is pretty cool.  Really, really cool.

I have experimented with Javascript widgets from the IPython notebook,
and I think that the Reason widgets could be implemented, once the
webapp refactoring they're in the midst of doing is done -- we still
need to supply a bit of chrome around the CSS/JS, which we can't right
now in the way I'd like to.  I think our widget registry system and
callback scheme will fit exactly correctly to do this, as well.  So as
soon as it's viable, I want to migrate Reason to the IPython notebook.

The way they're doing it here, I believe, implements a display
protocol which doesn't have callbacks; in principle our existing WebGL
widgets (which use XTK) could be implemented this way, as we don't
need callbacks for them.  Anybody want to give it a shot?  :)