[yt-dev] Fwd: [IPython-dev] Data viz in the notebook with JS

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 21:34:13 PDT 2012

Howdy,

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Matthew Turk <matthewturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Disadvantages:
>
>  * Unclear amount of our REPL/Notebook code will have to be rewritten
>  * The IPython notebook's storage format (SQLite) may not play nicely
> with all Lustre systems

You mean JSON?  IPython uses sqlite only for the user history, and
that happens even in the terminal.  The notebook makes no additional
use of SQLite, the notebook files themselves are JSON files stored
directly on disk via regular filesystem mechanisms.

>  * Possible impedance mismatch between JS libraries used in Notebook and ExtJS4

Very possible.

>  * My understanding of how WebSockets work doesn't cover how they work
> when SSH tunneling to bind to a socket, so I am putting potential
> glitches from this approach under "disadvantage"

That should be fine.  We've run qtcosoles and entire clusters with
zeromq communications forwarded over SSH.  That's not to say there
couldn't be some issues with peculiar network/firewall setups (we've
recently seen a hard to diagnose such case at a supercomputing
facility), but by and large things have been OK on that front.

Cheers,